The Department of Health & Human Services (The Department) is a part of the Government of Victoria. They are responsible for delivering policies, programs and services that contribute to the health and well-being of Victorians.
One role of the Department is to deliver the Child Protection Service. The main functions of Child Protection include the following:
- Investigate matters where it is alleged that a child is at risk of harm
- Refer children and families to services that support families to keep their children safe and promote their wellbeing
- Take matters before the Children's Court if the child's safety is at risk with their family
- Supervise children on legal orders granted by the Children's Court - read more about orders
- Provide and fund accommodation, support and out-of-home care services for children and young people.
Below is a flow diagram which illustrates the work that they do and the processes that they follow: